The former prince has been in the spotlight for troubling reasons, and now, even on his birthday, his situation has taken another turn.
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested on his 66th birthday. Thames Valley Police took him into custody, where he now remains detained. Officers have also been searching properties in Berkshire and Norfolk after formally opening an investigation.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor at St. Paul’s Church on June 27, 2017, in London, England | Source: Getty Images
A 66th Birthday Marked by Arrest and Investigation
The 66-year-old was detained on suspicion of misconduct in public office following what authorities described as a thorough assessment of the allegation. The investigation is now active.
Earlier in the day, vehicles believed to be unmarked police cars were spotted at Sandringham, Norfolk, where Andrew has been residing since leaving his 30-room mansion, Royal Lodge in Windsor Great Park. Searches are also being carried out at addresses in Berkshire.

A man steps out of umarked car at the home of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on February 19, 2026 in Sandringham, Norfolk | Source: Getty Images
In an official statement, Thames Valley Police did not identify him by name, instead stating that a man in his 60s had been arrested.
The force said, “We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active, so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court.”

Police officers are stationed outside the gates of the Royal Lodge, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s former residence on February 19, 2026 in Windsor, England | Source: Getty Images
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright added, “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office. It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.”
Oliver acknowledged the high level of public attention surrounding the matter and said further updates would be shared when appropriate.

A man steps out of an unmarked car at the home of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on February 19, 2026 in Sandringham, Norfolk | Source: Getty Images
A Royal First in Modern Times
This marks the first time Andrew has been arrested. In the past, he has faced numerous allegations linked to his association with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, all of which he has consistently and strenuously denied.
Still, Andrew has become the first senior member of the royal family in modern times to be taken into custody. Previously, Thames Valley Police confirmed it was examining claims that Jeffrey trafficked a woman to the UK for a sexual encounter involving Andrew.

Melania Trump, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, Gwendolyn Beck, and Jeffrey Epstein at a party at the Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Florida, on February 12, 2000 | Source: Getty Images
Investigators were also looking into allegations that, during his tenure as the UK’s trade envoy, he may have passed sensitive information to the convicted pedophile.
His detention also comes shortly after the Metropolitan Police announced that it had begun “initial inquiries” connected to allegations concerning close protection officers who were once assigned to Andrew.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor attends Katharine, Duchess of Kent’s Requiem Mass service at Westminster Cathedral on September 16, 2025 in London, England | Source: Getty Images
In a statement, they said it had “not identified any wrongdoing” but noted that “initial enquiries into these specific allegations have begun so we can establish the facts.”
Stripped of Titles, Erased from Royal Record
In October 2025, King Charles III formally removed Andrew from his remaining royal roles and distinctions. He was stripped of his titles, styles, and honorary positions, meaning he is no longer recognized as a Prince or the Duke of York.

The front page of The Times newspaper with an image of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is seen on October 31, 2025, in Windsor, England | Source: Getty Images
He also lost the use of his HRH style, effectively leaving him with the status of a private citizen. Despite these changes, Andrew remains eighth in line to the throne.
Charles also ordered that two of Andrew’s senior honors be revoked. His appointment as a Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, awarded in April 2006, was cancelled and his name removed from the Order’s register.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and King Charles III attend a Service of Thanksgiving at St Paul’s Cathedral on June 5, 2012 in London, England | Source: Getty Images
Additionally, his position as a Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order, granted in February 2011, was annulled, with his name also erased from the official records of the Order.
Daughters Devastated as Damaging Revelations Mount
Meanwhile, Andrew’s children, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie, retained their titles within the royal family. Their places in the line of succession also stayed the same, with Beatrice in ninth and Eugenie in 12th place.

Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie attend a Christmas Lunch for members of the Royal Family, hosted by King Charles III, at Buckingham Palace on December 16, 2025 in London, England | Source: Getty Images
Although Beatrice and Eugenie retained their titles and positions, sources said they were left stunned as a steady stream of damaging emails about their father continued to emerge.
Among the revelations were messages suggesting that their mother, Sarah Ferguson, had taken the sisters to visit Jeffrey just days after his release from prison in 2009.

Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie attend a Coronation Big Lunch in Buckinghamshire on May 7, 2023 in Chalfont St Giles, England | Source: Getty Images
Royal author Robert Jobson said the sisters felt deeply conflicted because they had believed their father’s repeated assurances that he had done nothing wrong.
According to him, Andrew had given them the same explanation he provided to the late Queen Elizabeth and Charles, and the sisters felt misled by the situation.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, Princess Beatrice, and Princess Eugenie attend a National Service of Thanksgiving at St Paul’s Cathedral on June 10, 2016 in London, England | Source: Getty Images
Andrew’s ex-wife, Sarah, was directly affected by the changes. She moved out of Royal Lodge and had to arrange her own living situation. Following Andrew’s loss of his Duke of York title in October 2025, she also lost her courtesy royal divorcee title as a duchess and reverted to her maiden name.
Although the public had long referred to her as “Fergie,” royal commentator Richard Palmer noted that losing the title would likely affect her public standing and influence, given that she had actively used the duchess title.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, Sarah Ferguson, and Princess Beatrice attend of the wedding of Princess Eugenie and Mr. Jack Brooksbank at St. George’s Chapel on October 12, 2018 in Windsor, England | Source: Getty Images
William’s Long Campaign to Push Andrew Out
Even before formal measures were imposed on Andrew, Prince William had reportedly been urging his father, Charles, to take decisive action. In November 2019, Andrew sat down for a televised interview with the BBC’s “Newsnight,” attempting to present his version of events amid growing controversy.
The appearance, however, was widely viewed as a misstep and intensified scrutiny rather than easing it. Following the broadcast, William is said to have spoken to his father, urging swift action.

A combination showing Prince William in the city of Bristol, south-west England, on January 22, 2026; and Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor at Westminster Cathedral in London on September 16, 2025 | Source: Getty Images
He was reportedly concerned not only about public reaction but also about how the situation could affect his own future within the monarchy.
A source said, “Once you understand the fact that everything that happens in the here and now affects everything in the future, William’s future, it is very easy to put yourself in his shoes. He never much liked his uncle and wanted him out of the picture immediately before the rot further set in.”

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor attends the traditional Easter Sunday Mattins Service at St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle on April 20, 2025 in England. | Source: Getty Images
The insider added that William believed Andrew had brought the crisis upon himself and should handle the consequences privately, away from the rest of the family. Despite William’s earlier appeals, Charles remained reluctant to take action.
Explosive Court Papers and Demands for Exile
The BBC interview took place shortly after court documents were unsealed in a 2015 New York defamation lawsuit filed by Andrew’s accuser, Virginia Giuffre, against Ghislaine Maxwell. Ghislaine was Andrew’s former associate who had trafficked underage girls for Jeffrey.

Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell at The Wall Street Concert Series Benefiting Wall Street Rising on March 15, 2005, in New York | Source: Getty Images
The papers included allegations that Andrew had engaged in “daily massages” during repeated visits to Jeffrey’s Florida home. The former prince was also accused of committing “acts of sexual abuse” and participating in an “underage orgy.”
Following the release of these documents, William urged the King to strip Andrew of his titles and remove him from the royal family entirely to safeguard the monarchy’s reputation.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and Prince William attend the funeral of The Duchess of Kent at Westminster Cathedral on September 16, 2025 in London, England | Source: Getty Images
A source close to William said, “The Prince of Wales was adamant the whole episode would never go away and, despite how others may have felt, there was absolutely no upside in Andrew being protected.”
The insider added, “His view was crystal clear, Andrew shouldn’t be anywhere near the family under any circumstances, not by association, not at family functions, anywhere. Every single time there was a new revelation, which no one knew when it was coming or what the next one would be, it was a stain on all of the family.”

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and Prince William attend the funeral of The Duchess of Kent at Westminster Cathedral on September 16, 2025 in London, England | Source: Getty Images
New Allegations Examined – No Further Action Taken
William’s concerns appeared increasingly prescient as new information continued to emerge over the years. In 2025, reports emerged that Andrew may have asked a former Met Police close protection officer to conduct checks on Virginia in 2011.
The Metropolitan Police carried out a further assessment on the matter. However, the review found no new evidence of criminal activity or misconduct and concluded that, without additional information, no further action would be taken.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor following King Charles III and Queen Camilla’s coronation on May 6, 2023, in London, England | Source: Getty Images
Authorities emphasized that any relevant new evidence, including material emerging from the US, would be carefully assessed.
No Longer ‘His Royal Highness,’ Just Mr. Mountbatten-Windsor
In the wake of news that Thames Valley Police was investigating Andrew for the allegations he has now been arrested over, William’s long-standing wish was finally fulfilled.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor attends Sunday service at the Royal Chapel of All Saints, at Royal Lodge, in Windsor on April 11, 2021 | Source: Getty Images
A palace spokesperson said that if approached by the police, they would provide support as expected, insofar as the accusations pertain to “Mr. Mountbatten-Windsor.”
Russell Myers, author of “William and Catherine: The Monarchy’s New Era: The Inside Story,” described the palace’s statement as a landmark moment.

Prince William and Princess Catherine arrive for a visit to the National Curling Academy on January 20, 2026 in Stirling, Scotland | Source: Getty Images
By publicly referring to Andrew as Mr. Mountbatten-Windsor and treating him as a private citizen, the royal family signaled that he would no longer be shielded by the institution. Russell added that this decisive step was overdue and should have been taken years earlier.
Palace Broke Silence as Crisis Deepened
The statement from Buckingham Palace came just hours after William and his wife, Catherine Middleton, issued their first comment following the release of the Epstein files.

Prince William and Princess Catherine visit the therapy gym during a visit to Charing Cross Hospital on January 8, 2026 in London, England | Source: Getty Images
Their message was shared via a spokesperson, who said, “I can confirm the Prince and Princess have been deeply concerned by the continuing revelations. Their thoughts remain focused on the victims.”
Now, taken together, the loss of his royal titles and honors, the mounting allegations, and his arrest mark a turbulent period for Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor. With investigations ongoing and significant public interest surrounding the case, further developments may yet unfold in the weeks ahead.



